Friday, January 21, 2011

Code Blue

Here is a drink that is not an energy drink, but a recovery drink. What exactly is a recovery drink? It is a drink full of electrolytes, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and natural anti-inflammatory fruit extract.

Packaging: The can is a silver/blue combination with the logo vertically written down the front of the can. The back of the can tells you what is in it and the nutrition facts, as well as what it does - Hydrates - Replenishes - Detoxifies - Reduces Inflammation.

Taste: To me the first taste of this reminded me a little of the flavor/texture of Emergen-C or ColdEez or something similar. It is lightly carbonated, and has a lot of vitamins, minerals, and electrolytes. Because of the sodium content (about 375mg of sodium or 16.5%DV) it reminds me of Gatorade back in the 90's. I cannot place the flavor. It has Prickly Pear extract in it, but I am not sure if that is part of the flavor or not. It has a light fruit sort of taste, I think. It is sweetened with natural cane sugar in combination with Stevia. This helps keep the calories down, so you are getting less "energy" and more recovery, as well as leaving out the sugar crash that some hydration drinks give you.

Energy: Since this is not an energy drink I had to evaluate it a little differently. I do not hold to a regular exercise routine. So trying this drink out, I went and got on the treadmill for a while. I got off, kind of loopy legged and shaky as I usually get when I use a treadmill. I stretched to cool down and drank a Code Blue. I was definitely less shaky after I drank it. I also had a couple over the course of fighting off the flu or whatever crud I had over Christmas. It really seemed to help me feel a little better, and less dehydrated.

Overall Impression: I really liked this for its recovery properties and being able to refuel after a workout or when feeling a bit dehydrated. You can use this "as needed" according to the label. Although because of the sodium content I would not go over two or three a day, as with energy drinks, just for a different reason. To me, the sodium content seems pretty high. I have encountered energy drinks with both more and less sodium than this. But only being 12 oz and having 16.5% of the DV of sodium it seems high. On one hand you need sodium to stay hydrated if you are working out and sweating a lot. On the other hand if you are just feeling like you have a cold or something I would say to drink Code Blue, but with plenty of plain old H2O. Other than that, I think this is an awesome beverage. I am going to give it a 9/10.

Find Them on the Web:

No comments:

Post a Comment