Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Golazo

This energy drink is inspired by soccer (or more properly futbol?). It is based out of the coffee capital of Seattle, WA. I was really glad to see something more than coffee coming from the great Northwest. The name Golazo is the word for "super goal" in Spanish. The creators say that this word is what describes their enthusiasm for the sport. Not being a super athletic person myself, I hope I can do this drink justice.

Packaging: The logo for Golazo is a reference to the Mexican coat of arms - An eagle holding a snake in its mouth. The white can with green and black highlights is very eye-catching. There is also a soccer ball, which helps Golazo to stand out, because it is geared towards footballers, as depicted below the logo, with a soccer player standing, pointing and looking up, as if to give props to the beverage for helping him play strong. Turning the can around and looking at the nutrition information, I noticed an annotation by the barcode stating that it is "WiMO ENABLED". I got the free WiMO app from the iTunes app store, and scanned the can. That's right, the logo, not the barcode, is what you scan. (Do not copy my mistake and try to scan the barcode a dozen or more unsuccessful times.) I will let you find out where it takes you. But that part of the packaging is pretty neat.

Taste: The flavor is said on the website to be a mango-lime flavor with light carbonation. On first taste I found the mango to really stand out above the lime flavor. The lime in it is slight, just enough to tell it is there, but somewhat overpowered by the mango. This is not necessarily a bad thing, it is a nice refreshing flavor. The drink is sweetened partially with sugar and partially with the Stevia plant. The Stevia brings down the sugars and carbs in it substantially, making it a health conscious beverage. I am sensitive to the taste of artificial/natural sweeteners because I do not usually drink many beverages with them in it. Anyone used to the taste of zero calorie sweeteners will not even notice this.

Energy: The can boasts energy and hydration as key reasons why you should drink it. I drank a can of this yesterday morning when I had a short night, and an early wake-up call. I think it did well on the hydration portion. Because of the low sugar content it did not slow me down like a normal energy drink loaded down with sugar does. I really did not feel that much of a boost of energy from it, but I did not chug the whole can at once either. I drank it over a period of about half an hour or so. It was enough to wake me up to perform well at the computer work I was doing at the time. The desk is my playing field, so I assume that someone who has been doing the cardio required on a soccer field might drink this a little faster and feel a better boost of energy because they are getting it into their system in a shorter period of time.

Overall Impression: I really enjoyed this drink, even though I did not get as much energy out of it as I thought, it may have just been me. The energy I got was more calm energy. The flavor combination is excellent. Very refreshing. I would recommend this on flavor alone, because mango and lime are both popular flavors and they work well together. They also have that Latin influence that the drink is based around. On a scale of 1 to 10 I will give this a solid 9. I think it is a drink that can hold its own in the market. It is unique, and it is bringing in the genre of sports energy to the energy drink network.

Find them on the Web: http://www.golazoenergy.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment